e-chains®, or energy-chains, protect and guide moving cables and hoses. They go by a lot of names: cable carrier, cat track, drag chain and power-chain. They are usually made of plastic and occasional out of metal, though this has some drawbacks.
igus® readychain® systems are e-chain® systems supplied complete with cables, hoses, connectors and even custom metal work. This allows them to be fitted quickly and easily to your machine, saving time and money.
igus® readychains can be supplied at 4 levels:
- readychain® basic: energy chains supplied with cables and hoses installed and cut to length
- readychain® standard: energy chains supplied with cables and hoses installed, cut to length complete with required connectors fitted and electrically tested
- readychain® standard plus: energy chains supplied with cables and hoses installed, cut to length complete with required connectors fitted and electrically tested with optimised connection points / interfaces
- readychain® premium: one or several energy chains supplied with cables and hoses installed, cut to length complete with required connectors fitted and electrically tested, supplied on a transport rack for easy transport and installation
They enforce a minimum bend radius for the cables and hoses they protect and offer physical protection around them. The biggest benefit is that different services can be run side by side together in the same system e.g hydraulics, power cables, data cables, fibre optic cables, fluids etc. This makes them flexible and versatile, even allowing easy and cheap cable upgrades during the system life. By being passive (i.e. being pulled and pushed by the machine), they need no extra power or drive system and being made from low friction plastics they are therefore corrosion resistant and virtually maintenance-free.
There is certain basic data that is required – the diameters, weights and minimum bend radius data for the cables and hoses. Also, the application data, such as machine travel length, speed, acceleration and even the environmental conditions. Service life calculations can be obtained with our online tool here.
At igus®, we have online expert systems to help which offer the available options for these inputs and show respective lifetimes and costs. Of course, we can also support by phone, email, Livechat and visits to your site by our sales engineer team.
The number of cables that can be fitted into an energy chain is virtually limitless. Since we offer a full range of internal separation solutions, this can be done safely and to meet almost any layout required. The huge benefit of energy chains is that almost any combination of cables and hoses can be run in the same system, something that cannot be said of alternative technologies like busbars and festoons.
igus® also offers a full range of dynamically rated cables for use in constantly flexing applications (“chainflex®“), which are guaranteed for 10 million movements or 36 months when used as per our guidelines. These can be supplied with or without connectors and pre-fitted into the energy chains. We also offer steel and aluminium guide troughs for longer travels, cable clamping solutions for cable strain-relief and chain interior separation options to ensure a long cable life inside the chain. We also offer design and project support, onsite services such as supervision and inspection and full turnkey installation.
igus® e-loop has been designed to enable the operator to replace single cables/hoses in situ, rather than having to replace the full service loops. The e-loop is built up in links, which can be opened to allow the cables to be changed. The dyneema rope which runs through the middle of the e-loop is pre-tensioned to the working load, and so takes the strain of the cables or hoses in use.
Yes! igus® e-loop is supplied with an industry-standard mounting bracket and flange, as per on major OEM top drives, so it is a simple and quick retrofit!
Our online tool prevents our customers from over filling the e-chains®. We have recommendations for the amount of clearance each service should have when installed within the e-chain® (relative to its OD); 10% for all round and flat cables, 5-10% for pneumatics, 20% for hydraulic hoses and 15-20% for all other media hoses.
- ready to install: all readychain® systems are assembled at one of the worldwide igus® factories
- lifetime guarantee: all readychain® components undergo extensive checks through quality and functional tests
- reduce the number of your suppliers by 75%: lower project planning expenditure and increase efficiency
- flexible production plans: state of the art technology to ensure optimised production
- safeguarded and short delivery times: our experienced and consistent team guarantees customer satisfaction for high quality at low costs
The limiting factor would be how large the drum is with this chain wrapped around, and the lifting gear required to handle on site, but we are regularly delivering systems for travels of 100m and beyond; these can be split mid length too for a smaller diameter drum.