e-chains®, or energy-chains, protect and guide moving cables and hoses. They go by a lot of names: cable carrier, cat track, drag chain and power-chain. They are usually made of plastic and occasional out of metal, though this has some drawbacks.
igus® readychain® systems are e-chain® systems supplied complete with cables, hoses, connectors and even custom metal work. This allows them to be fitted quickly and easily to your machine, saving time and money.
igus® readychains can be supplied at 4 levels:
- readychain® basic: energy chains supplied with cables and hoses installed and cut to length
- readychain® standard: energy chains supplied with cables and hoses installed, cut to length complete with required connectors fitted and electrically tested
- readychain® standard plus: energy chains supplied with cables and hoses installed, cut to length complete with required connectors fitted and electrically tested with optimised connection points / interfaces
- readychain® premium: one or several energy chains supplied with cables and hoses installed, cut to length complete with required connectors fitted and electrically tested, supplied on a transport rack for easy transport and installation
There is certain basic data that is required – the diameters, weights and minimum bend radius data for the cables and hoses. Also, the application data, such as machine travel length, speed, acceleration and even the environmental conditions. Service life calculations can be obtained with our online tool here.
At igus®, we have online expert systems to help which offer the available options for these inputs and show respective lifetimes and costs. Of course, we can also support by phone, email, Livechat and visits to your site by our sales engineer team.
igus® also offers a full range of dynamically rated cables for use in constantly flexing applications (“chainflex®“), which are guaranteed for 10 million movements or 36 months when used as per our guidelines. These can be supplied with or without connectors and pre-fitted into the energy chains. We also offer steel and aluminium guide troughs for longer travels, cable clamping solutions for cable strain-relief and chain interior separation options to ensure a long cable life inside the chain. We also offer design and project support, onsite services such as supervision and inspection and full turnkey installation.
igus® e-loop has been designed to enable the operator to replace single cables/hoses in situ, rather than having to replace the full service loops. The e-loop is built up in links, which can be opened to allow the cables to be changed. The dyneema rope which runs through the middle of the e-loop is pre-tensioned to the working load, and so takes the strain of the cables or hoses in use.
Yes! igus® e-loop is supplied with an industry-standard mounting bracket and flange, as per on major OEM top drives, so it is a simple and quick retrofit!
Our online tool prevents our customers from over filling the e-chains®. We have recommendations for the amount of clearance each service should have when installed within the e-chain® (relative to its OD); 10% for all round and flat cables, 5-10% for pneumatics, 20% for hydraulic hoses and 15-20% for all other media hoses.
- ready to install: all readychain® systems are assembled at one of the worldwide igus® factories
- lifetime guarantee: all readychain® components undergo extensive checks through quality and functional tests
- reduce the number of your suppliers by 75%: lower project planning expenditure and increase efficiency
- flexible production plans: state of the art technology to ensure optimised production
- safeguarded and short delivery times: our experienced and consistent team guarantees customer satisfaction for high quality at low costs
The limiting factor would be how large the drum is with this chain wrapped around, and the lifting gear required to handle on site, but we are regularly delivering systems for travels of 100m and beyond; these can be split mid length too for a smaller diameter drum.
The maximum is currently 80M.
10 million cycles, or 10,000km is our guaranteed statement
No, a visual inspection is required every 6-12 months and adjustment of cable tensions (if necessary)
88% faster installation time than standard chain
No, you do not need that. In monitoring their own production, every entrepreneur can decide for himself how much he wants to digitise and utilise the opportunities offered by the Internet of Things. Not everyone is already connected and not everyone wants to network.
Many are concerned about transferring their sensitive company data to external servers, even if high security standards are guaranteed. However, if you use the isense online system from igus, to synchronise and keep data up-to-date, the installed module connects directly to the igus server and sends the data anonymously. The company’s own network remains unaffected at all times.
Companies who still prefer to run their production monitoring offline, i.e. without Internet connection and permanent data update in their own operating system, can certainly do so. They install systems that give a warning in case of defects or simply switch off the machines via normally closed or normally open contacts to prevent major damage and breakdowns.
No, you do not have to. If your organisation wants to monitor production and switch to predictive maintenance, you do not have to buy extra hardware and set up a new IT infrastructure.
The prerequisite for the most accurate information possible on the trouble-free running time of our components is that the details of use given by the operator are accurate. This includes information on the place of use with weather conditions and temperatures, distances, loads, number of cycles, etc.
In private life, one example is that of users of music streaming services. Here an algorithm constantly learns from the behaviour of the user
CF.Q is the sensor for the electrical specifications of chainflex cables
- Belongs to prevention of crash and can be used without an additional module
- Indicates changes in the electrical properties
- In the event of a fault, information by means of NO contact or message
The automotive guarantee is a service that igus® offers to ensure that the systems are installed correctly, therefore enabling the 36 month guarantee to be awarded for both chain and cable.
There are 3 options which you can find information about here: https://www.igus.co.uk/info/automotive-guarantee
Yes. We recommend the TH3 energy chain, which has been developed specifically for the food and beverage industry.
Yes, all igus energy chain materials can be deployed in continuous use at temperatures as low as -40 °C.
A detailed list provides information on the resistance of igus’s igumid G, TE, and NB materials to many chemical substances.
As a rule, the standard temperature range for plastic energy chains is -40 °C to +130 °C, short term +170 °C.